Can I shorten my time on probation? How can I reduce my time on probation?

Sometimes it is possible to shorten the length of your probation. If you complete all of the things the judge has instructed you to complete, you can petition the court for what is called “early termination.”

Early termination is the term used to describe a situation in which a person has done everything asked of them on probation before the entire probationary period is up. For example, if you are placed on probation for one year to complete 100 hours of community service, and you finish all 100 hours in three months, you can ask the court to end your probation after the three month period.

Early termination is discretionary. In some cases the judge may want to keep you on probation for monitoring even if you have completed everything you need to do. This is especially true with individuals who are placed on probation for violent crimes or serious drug offenses. But most of the time, the sooner you finish everything the judge asks you to do, the sooner you can get off probation.

Posted in: Violation of Probation