What should I do if I violate my probation?

If you have been accused of violating your probation you should contact an attorney immediately. A person does not have the same rights on probation that they do in a regular criminal law case. There is no entitlement to bond. The State does not have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. There is also no right to have your probation reinstated. When you hire an attorney, the attorney can assist you through the process and assist you in obtaining the best result.

If possible, make sure that you make arrangements to have any evidence, such as proof of counseling or proof of community service hours completed, delivered to the attorney. This will be helpful in preparing your defense. If you have witnesses you will need to provide their names and addresses to the attorney as well.

If you are given a bond, make sure that you continue to report to probation and work on any terms you have not finished while your case is pending. This will look good to the judge if and when you are sentenced for the violation.

The most important thing to do if you are arrested for a violation of probation is to follow the advice of your attorney and any orders given to you by the court. Failing to do so can result in a lengthy jail sentence.

Posted in: Violation of Probation