If you have been accused of Conspiracy in violation of Florida Statute 777.04, the uncompromising and skillful attorneys of Finebloom & Haenel are available to prepare a defense for you!
A conspiracy is an agreement or plan between two or more people to commit a crime. The crime does not actually have to occur for you to be found guilty of conspiracy. But you (or one of the people you are in agreement with) must have taken some action to put the plan into action.
For example, in the case of conspiracy to commit murder: If Bill and Joe agree that Tim should die, but never do anything other than talk about it that is probably not a conspiracy. But if Bill an Joe agree that Tim should die and they buy a gun, and make a map of the Tim’s home and write down his work schedule, then they could probably be charged with conspiracy; even if they never actually go to the house to kill Tim.
- The punishments for conspiracy vary depending on the crime. As a general rule, the punishment for conspiracy is one level less than the crime.
- So if you are planning a capital crime, conspiracy is a life felony punishable by 30 years in prison.
- If you are planning a life felony or felony of the first degree, conspiracy is a second degree felony punishable by 15 years in prison.
- If the crime planned is a second degree felony, a burglary, or another serious third degree felony, then the conspiracy charge is also a third degree felony punishable by five years in prison.
- If the crime is a non-serious third degree felony, then the conspiracy charge is a first degree misdemeanor punishable by one year in the county jail.
Conspiracy charges can be tricky. But there are usually many defenses available. However, if you have an attorney who is inexperienced in this area, your defense could be overlooked. Don’t take that chance! Call Finebloom & Haenel today. Our attorneys have over 30 years of combined experience in criminal law. We have the knowledge and skill to present a competent and effective defense. Call 407-218-6277 now to discuss your options. We are available 24/7 to arrange a consultation.