If you have been arrested in the Orlando area for “armed trafficking” in violation of Florida statutes 893.135 and 775.087(1), the skilled attorneys of Finebloom & Haenel are ready to prepare your defense!
Under Florida law, “armed trafficking” is not a listed crime. It is a combination of two crimes. If you are found guilty of trafficking AND while committing the trafficking offense you used, threatened to use, carried, or displayed a weapon or firearm then you are guilty of armed trafficking.
Under the law, “whenever a person is charged with a felony. . . and during the commission of such felony the defendant carries, displays, uses, threatens to use, or attempts to use any weapon or firearm, or during the commission of such felony the defendant commits an aggravated battery, the felony for which the person is charged shall be reclassified as follows:
- In the case of a felony of the first degree, to a life felony.
- In the case of a felony of the second degree, to a felony of the first degree
- In the case of a felony of the third degree, to a felony of the second degree.”
This means whatever degree your trafficking charge was, it gets “bumped up” a level.
- If your minimum mandatory sentence was 3 years, it will now be 7 or 15, depending on the drug.
- If your felony was a 7 year minimum, it will now be 15.
- If the minimum sentence was 15 years it will now be life.
Armed trafficking charges are viciously prosecuted in the State of Florida. Prosecutors are afraid of the press that surrounds the image of a drug runner carrying a gun. Public opinion can influence prosecutors to seek the maximum penalties without fully understanding the facts of the case. Protect yourself and your rights!
Contact the professionals at Finebloom & Haenel today. Our experienced defense team can create a custom defense to meet your needs. Do not wait! Call us now at 407-218-6277. We are available 24/7 to consult with you