If you have been charged under Florida Statute 212.15 for failing to declare or remit taxes, the law offices of Finebloom & Haenel can help defend your case!
Under the Florida law, it is unlawful to deprive or defraud the state of its moneys or the use or benefit. If you fail to remit taxes collected under this chapter, you can be found guilty of theft of state funds. This statute is punishable as follows:
- If the total amount of stolen revenue is less than $300, the offense is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable by 60 days in the county jail and a $500 fine.
- Upon a second conviction, the offender is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable by one year in the county jail and a $1000 fine.
- Upon a third or subsequent conviction, the offender is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable by up to five years in a Florida state prison and fines up to $5000.
- If the total amount of stolen revenue is $300 or more, but less than $20,000, the offense is a felony of the third degree, punishable by five years in the Department of Corrections and a $5000 fine.
- If the total amount of stolen revenue is $20,000 or more, but less than $100,000, the offense is a felony of the second degree, punishable by 15 years in the Florida Department of corrections and a $10,000 fine.
- If the total amount of stolen revenue is $100,000 or more, the offense is a felony of the first degree, punishable by 30 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.
In addition to the punishments listed above, the department of revenue will issue a writ of bodily attachment for you (which amounts to a warrant for your arrest). If they execute the writ, you will remain in jail until you pay the amount owed or until a judge says otherwise. They will also record a lien against any property that you own. This means you may not be able to sell the property or take out loans against it to pay what you owe!
In these times of economic hardship for the State of Florida, tax crimes are going to be zealously prosecuted.
Hire the defense team that will zealously defend you! At the law offices of Finebloom & Haenel our experienced team has the time to properly evaluate your case and the resources to defend it. Do not hire amateurs! Call the experienced defense attorneys of Finebloom & Haenel today. We are available 24/7 to arrange a consultation at 407-21-6138.